Ingredients: (makes 6 to 8 servings)
- 4 or 5 Chinese eggplants
- 3 ounces ground meat, any kind of meat
- 3 teaspoons chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon bean paste
- 1 teaspoon hot bean paste sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ cup water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water
- Cut each eggplant diagonal into large pieces.
- Prepare for seasoning sauce: in a small bowl, mix well all ingredients, except cornstarch, ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan with high heat. Stir-fry eggplants for 30 seconds, turn heat to low, and continue stirring until it’s soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a plate.
- Heat the oil again, stir-fry shallots, jalapeno for few seconds; add green onions, garlic and ginger, stir until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add ground meat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour seasoning sauce over, add cooked eggplants, quickly stir, turn heat to medium continue to cook until the sauce has reduced. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch water, if desire. Season to taste,
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions or cilantro. Serve immediately