Ingredients: (makes 24 rolls)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
Combine all ingredients to make just running enough to drip from spoon.
Preheat oven at 375 degrees F
1. Grease two 12-muffin pans, set aside. (you can use baking sheets)
2. For the filling, add sugar, butter and orange zest in a small bowl, mix well. Set aside.
3. For the dough, dissolve yeast in warm water; let sit until yeast starts to bubble. Beat 2 eggs, add sugar, salt and melted butter, stir in milk; combine them with yeast. Add 1 cup flour at a time, 4 cups total, mix them well. No need to knead let rise until doubled in size, usually about two hours.
4. To make rolls, using a lot of flour on a working surface. Punch down and divide dough in two. Roll out dough to the size of a rectangular, 18”x 12”. Spread 1/4 of filling down middle third of rectangular, the longer side; fold outer third over filling. Spread 1/4 filling over top of folded strip, then fold other side dough over filling. This large strip should have the size of 6”x12”, with three layers. Continue to finish the second dough.
5. Cut large strip into twelve 1”x6” small strips and lay them on the floured board; gently stretch each strip out a bit then form into a spiral shaped roll and place on the greased muffin pans.
6. Let rise for 45 minutes. Bake until light brown, about 12 to 14 minutes.
7. To make orange glaze, combine 1/2 cup powder sugar and 2 tablespoons melted butter, add orange juice, just enough to drip from a spoon.
8. Ice each roll with orange glaze and serve warm.