Ingredients: (makes 6 to 12 servings)
- 3/4 lb bacon
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 shallots, fine chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 2 stalks asparagus, cut into small thin disc
- 1/4 fresh grating of nutmeg (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives or green onion
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 box of pie dough
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Prepare the pie dough as directed, divide and press the dough into 6 mini quiche dishes, or one 9-inch pie dish. Set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- In a medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring often until the meat is crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate, break into small pieces; discard the bacon fat.
- Heat the oil in the same sauté pan with medium heat. Stir-fry onion for 5 minutes, add mushrooms continue to cook. Drop in shallots and garlic, stir-fry for few minutes until aromatic; add ¼ cup wine and seasoning and cook until the juice is evaporated. Transfer to a plate, let it cool.
- Combine milk in a sauce pan, over medium heat; remove when it starts to boil. Whisk eggs with flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Keep whisking and slowly pour in a bit of hot milk to temper, until the mixture combines; add chives at end.
- Sprinkle bacon in the bottom of pie shell; add onion and mushroom mixture, asparagus, and cheeses.
- Pour the custard mixture over it. Bake 25 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.